While speaking about Joomla to WordPress migration, there’s no time to dare and endure. It’s about time to plan the tactics that will simplify and speed up your site migration. Thus, the well-thought scenario is the urgent necessity. You shouldn’t set up your website conversion as soon as the idea of switching to WordPress comes to your mind. Let’s make this endeavor in fine fashion – preserving your website content, SEO and modules data together with the fast transfer. Technically, Joomla to WordPress migration may be relatively separated into 3 parts: preparation, migration itself, new site polishing.
Coming closer to the root of this post, let’s enter the migration process with confidence and failsafe plan.
1. Joomla Finishing Straight
Originally, before migrating your website from Joomla to WordPress , you should make some preparatory steps to run your site conversion smoothly and flawlessly.
- Analyze your current site data – If you run the site for some considerable time, eventually, there are some outdated content (irrelevant information, old unimportant news, historic promo pages, etc). In this case, you may absolutely delete such type of content. Undoubtedly, this procedure will simplify and speed up your Joomla migration.
- Make a Backup – Save your website data on the hard drive, flash drive or DVD in order to exclude all the risks of data losses. Otherwise, you may use the backup option of your hosting provider.
2. WordPress Introduction
Slipping to the next step of your website migration, you may install your new WordPress CMS and know it inside out. Moreover, it’s recommended to proceed with the following actions:
- SEO URLs Setup – First, enable the SEO URLs structure. Go to your WP admin panel-> Settings->Permalinks->Custom Structure.
- Instal WP Plugins – Also, you may make a test drive of some plugins at your new WordPress website. Traditionally, it’s recommended to activate plugins for better SEO visualization, media, social bookmarks, forum, or any others. Think about the tools that may substitute your Joomla extensions, some counterparts, for instance, WordPress SEO by Yoast may be a great shift of sh404SEF plugin, bbPress forum may interchange your Kunena forum extension.
Automated Joomla to WordPress Migration Itself
As the alternative of copy/pasting or hiring a programmer, you may give a try to a fully automated way of Joomla to WordPress migration with CMS 2 CMS . This CMS and forum migration service holds itself out as the only solution for your fast and accurate site migration. But, is it possible to handle website migration in a fully automated manner? Let’s take a look closer.
In the plain words, migration is done via so-called connection bridge between Joomla and WordPress, that has a special lens of code for automated transfer. So, the procedure includes the following actions:
3. Specify Joomla and WordPress URLs
Note. If you don’t have your new WP site live yet, you may try the migration anyway. There’s an option to transfer your website to the test site (100 pages of your site will be moved to WP) and take a look at its backend and frontend and decide on further actions.
4. Connection Between Websites
Now, you should establish the connection between your Joomla and WordPress websites for so-called data interaction. It’s possible to do this automatedly – just provide your Joomla and WordPress access credentials.
5. Items That Will Be Migrated to WordPress
Basically, CMS2CMS covers the migration of the following data:
Apart from the content data migration, CMS2CMS includes the extension data migration.
The only condition of this option is, you have to install the counterpart WP plugin previously. So, it’s possible to migrate the following extensions data:
- sh404SEF -> WordPress SEO by Yoast
- Phoca Image Gallery -> NextGen Gallery
- Joomla K2 -> default WordPress content
- Kunena -> bbPress
- JComments -> default WordPress content
6. Estimated Migration Time – 15 Mins
With the automated CMS2CMS migration service, you’ll be able to migrate your website from Joomla to WordPress literalily in split minutes. The migration process (free demo preview together with full site conversion) usually takes 15 minutes on average depending on the amount of your website items.
7. Theme Suggestion
In order to make the switch from Joomla to WordPress invisible for users and effortless for a website owner, automated migration service gives a theme suggestion for your new WordPress website. How does it look like? CMS2CMS analyses the colour scheme of your Joomla website and then provides your with the list of similar WP themes. So, you may choose the one you like best.
8. New WordPress: Final Touches
When the migration is done, there’s only a last gasp left to make your website up and run. Now, you should concentrate on your SEO recovery. As it was mentioned about, it’s possibly to preserve your traffic and ranking by using the redirects. Additionally, there are a few useful hints:
- Make Site Crawlable – Refer Google bots to index your site properly. You may use robots.txt file to show what content should be crawlable and hidden.
- Fix the Broken Links – Check up all the website content in order to get rid of 404 errors. Actually, it’s not a problem, there are a lot of online tools that track the broken links.
All in all, when the question posed in you website improvement, there’s nothing about tedious migration procedure. It’s all about the desire to gain your website success. So, now with CMS2CMS you are a pro of accurate and secure website migration, whether you are a fancy coder or an average Internet user.
See also: Blogger to WordPress Migration